Most thistles are greatly beloved by bees and other pollinators.
Cirsium rivulare 'Atropurpureum' delights in boggy conditions or heavy clay soil. It's surprising that it does so well in our predominantly sandy soil. It grows to about 4ft tall, and has plum-coloured flowers and leaves that are serrated but hardly prickly at all.
Unfortunately Cirsium is sterile so it needs to be propagated by division. It seems a waste of the copious amounts of fluffy seeds it produces.
The globe thistle, Echinops ritro, is a tough herbaceous perennial that also forms large clumps and has a great presence in the herbaceous border. The head of the globe thistle is spectacular in bud and looks as though it is made of steel. This is a plant we have grown in the past but it always got attacked by aphids and the leaves became contorted and ugly. But we may try it again in this garden.
The next prickly speciman is the eryngium or sea holly. It isn't a thistle at all but an umbellifer. The name eryngium is derived from the Greek, meaning a plant used to cure indigestion.
One favourite in particular is Eryngium Giganteum. It has very sharp steely bracts and an almost luminous silvery appearance. This plant is a biennial and self seeds all around the border.
This plant is also known as Miss Willmott's Ghost, because it always appeared two years after the celebrated Edwardian gardener Ellen Willmott had surreptitiously sprinkled seeds in gardens she visited.
I scattered some seeds around last year in the true Miss Willmot tradition and am looking forward to Eryngium giganteum putting in an appearance next year.
Common Teazle (dipsacus sylvestris) used to be used for medicinal purposes and for carding wool. It's another biennial with very spiky stems and conical flowers. I grew several from seed last year to plant out at the back of the border to provide some height and drama. They are a great plant for butterflies and also for Gold Finches which enjoy the seeds over the winter. One fascinating feature of the teazle is that the lilac and white flowers bloom in a circular pattern around the flower head starting in the middle and opening up and down simultaneously.
Lastly is the tallest of them all, the giant cotton thistle, Onopordum acanthium. They grow to at least 10ft and often 15ft, with a spread of 5ft. But they are among the most dramatic garden plants, with huge grey leaves coated with a milky down, fringed with sharp spikes and great candelabras of flowering stems. It is biennial and another self seeder. This tall thistle need staking or will topple over in windy conditions.
Other facts that you may not know about Thistles:
The thistle is also the national emblem of Scotland.......
In Winnie-the-Pooh, it is Eeyore's favourite food...
There are two famous poems about Thistles : one by Ted Hughes called "Thistles" and the other by Hugh MacDiarmid called "A Drunk Man looks at the Thistle"
Fabulous plants. I wanted to add Cirseum to my pond border but couldn't stretch the budget this year. Maybe in my next garden. There again, I am also hoping for sunnier borders so that I can indulge my love of Eryngiums. Is ti greedy to want both?!
ReplyDeleteFantastic post! I am huge fan of all the plants you have featured, exciting stuff! That Onopordum is a monster.
ReplyDeleteBertie
Great info Janet and your images capture the architectural construction of each so well. Thistles are in the preferred colour range for bees but I think they are faved because the flowerheads support the bumbles' weight so they just lie down in the flowers to feast.
ReplyDeleteWe could start a prickly plants appreciation society!
ReplyDeleteI never thought about the bees weight being supported, Laura. They do always seem drawn to these flowers.
Lovely spiky post - and your pics of the Eryngium remind me that I need to do something deliberate about reintroducing it in my own patch. One appeared - typical - and then vanished, never to return. Magnificent plants!
ReplyDeleteA few seeds nonchalantly scattered should do the trick,Kate
ReplyDeleteI see an Echinops ritro in my future; what a stunner.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures Janet, the "Teasel"you gave me is fantastic and it is still alive.. k
ReplyDeleteSuch wonderful shapes. Absorbing and inspiring photos.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the comments. I think they are brilliant plants and everyone should have at least one in their garden.
ReplyDeleteK - Leave the seed head and hopefully you'll never be without them!
Super post with lovely pics, hadn't realised that Circium will grow in my heavy clay, must give it a try, thanks.
ReplyDeleteWe also have a semblance of thistle here, as i see them in the wild but not as lovely as these. The globe thistle is super lovely! BTW, i wonder why Scotland picked thistle as its national flower, when it seem to say 'get off from me'!
ReplyDeleteI love these prickly plants, so much texture. Great macros too. Thanks for visiting my blog too. Just to let you know, I also do Garden Walk Garden Talk too. Maybe you want to look there. I change headers frequently and have a tab at the top of the page called Seen It Before?, where they are all shown. Thanks again for visiting.
ReplyDeleteAndrea, I think that the thistles fits well with some of the Scottish traits.
ReplyDeleteThanks for comment Donna. I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes. I hadn't realized that both these blogs were you!
Beautiful flowers! I love reading garden blogs to learn more about those flowers that I am not growing and to get ideas for plants to add to the garden. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that I enjoyed this post so much I linked to it in the blog carnival (Berry-Go-Round)I'm hosting this month over at Beyond the Brambles!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link Kate.
ReplyDeleteLovely selection of plants. My mum gave me an envelope of seed from her cirsium rivulare, but sounds as though it won't do me much good! Will have to beg a root cutting instead. We do have two young eryngium in the garden that will hopefully flower next year, and one 'Miss Willmott's Ghost' has germinated from seed sown a few months ago so I shall nurse that on too, and hopefully enjoy some steely blue in the garden next year.
ReplyDelete